At the Heart of the Abyss
Class Traits – Vanguard Levels
- Role: Vanguards are the guys you call in when someone needs to storm a fortified position. They move fast, employing biotics and powerful short-range weapons to take the enemy down before they fall themselves. Everything about a vanguard is focused on power, speed, and shock and awe tactics. Alone, a vanguard will run into trouble against superior numbers. But backed up by a competent squad they will make the top of the kill-count. Unlike most operatives, Vanguards focus on melee combat as much as their weapons. Since they prefer close quarters, they get a lot of chances to fight hand to hand. Most modern soldiers aren’t trained to fight that way making the effect devastating. Even Krogan can be taken by surprise by the sheer physical ferocity of a vanguard.
- Key Attribute: Strength – Explosive athletic power and melee ability are a must.
- Secondary Attributes: Toughness; Reflexes
- Armor: Vanguards stick to medium armor. They need protection but have to stay mobile.
- Weapons: Vanguards favor short range, powerful stuff. Shotguns are their main weapon, backed up by Sub Machine Guns. Assault Rifles and Heavy Pistols are considered third tier weapons.
- Accuracy: +2 at 1st Level
- Weapon Specialization:
- Shotgun +3
- Sub Machine Gun +2
- Assault Rifle or Heavy Pistol +1
- Defense: +8 at 1st Level
- Tech Defense: +1 at 1st Level
- Biotic Defense: +3 at 1st Level
- Health at 1st Level: 25 + Toughness
- Shields at 1st Level: +5
- Class Skills: Athletics; Disrupt; Melee
- Class Powers:
- Charge – A biotic-enhanced series of athletic abilities that get the vanguard in close.
- Martial Arts – Brutal physical attacks with weapon or unarmed.
- Pile Driver – A mass effect field that drives down powerfully from above.
- Tremor – A biotic attack that spreads outward from the vanguard, hitting everything around him.
- Warp Ammo – A biotic field surrounding shots that cuts through defenses and hits hard.